Westfield Public Schools
Frequently Asked Questions
Gaining Access to Power School Questions:
11. What if I lose or forget my password?
- When can I access the PowerSchool Parent Portal?
The PowerSchool Parent Portal will be available to registered parent(s)/guardian(s) 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Is this system secure?
Yes, the system requires an individual username and password for each child. In addition, the PowerSchool Parent Portal has SSL encryption. The username and password must be kept confidential by parents.
- How do I access the PowerSchool Parent Portal?
You may access the PowerSchool Parent Portal from any computer, tablet, or cell phone with an Internet connection by launching your web browser and going to https://ps.schoolsofwestfield.org.
- Who may access the PowerSchool Parent Portal?
Parent(s)/guardian(s) who have a username and password may access the PowerSchool Parent Portal. Only one username and password will be issued per student.
- Can I access the PowerSchool Parent Portal from anywhere?
Yes, you can access the PowerSchool Parent Portal from any computer, tablet or cell phone that has Internet access.
- I have multiple children in the district. Can I have access to all their accounts under just one username and password?
Yes and No. At this time the Westfield Public Schools only has the ability to offer this service to students in grades 6-12. You only need to create one account and with each of your children’s unique access ID and password, you can add them to your account.
- My husband/wife and I are separated/divorced; can we get another parent username and password for our child’s account?
No. Unfortunately, the PowerSchool program only allows one parent account to be created per child. Therefore, both parents will have to use the same username and password that was assigned by the district.
- Do I need a new username and password each year if my child is returning?
No, all login information will remain active as long as your child is a student at that school.
- What if I do not have a computer at home or do not have access to the Internet?
You can also access it with any tablet or cell phone that has Internet access. In addition, the Westfield Athenaeum has public computers that you can use to access the PowerSchool Parent Portal.
- What kind of computer equipment do I need to view PowerSchool Parent Portal?
Almost any computer, tablet or cell phone with an Internet connection can access PowerSchool Parent Portal. It is recommended that you use a newer Internet browser.
If your password is lost or forgotten you can access the “having trouble signing in” link on the login page to have your information e-mailed to you. The login information that is e-mailed to you must be used within 30 minutes of the request, or you will need to submit a new request from the link.
General Power School Questions
- What is PowerSchool?
PowerSchool is the student information system that Westfield Public Schools uses to manage information such as grades, attendance, demographics, courses, etc. Since PowerSchool is web-based, some of this information can be easily and safely shared with parents and students.
- What is the PowerSchool Parent Portal?
The PowerSchool Parent Portal is a feature of the PowerSchool Student Information System that provides parents/guardians immediate access to grades, assignments and attendance records in an effort to facilitate and improve communication between home and school.
- What can I see on PowerSchool Parent Portal site?
Parents can access the following information: grades for current classes, previous term grades, attendance, teachers’ comments, and various reports via email.
- Do I have to use the PowerSchool Parent Portal?
No, you do not have to use it at all. The PowerSchool Parent Portal is designed to give parents access to information that may be important to them in an easy to access, consolidated format.
- Is there a cost associated with the PowerSchool Parent Portal?
No. The PowerSchool Parent Portal is a free service to Westfield Public School parents.
- How do I get more help?
Aside from the resources found in this user guide, you should contact the school’s office with questions regarding the PowerSchool Parent Portal.
- Whom should I contact if I have a question?
For grades of class assignments during the current semester, talk with your child first. If you still have questions, you may call your child’s teacher or email him/her. General attendance questions should be directed to your school office. If you wish to disable your access to PowerSchool Parent Portal, contact the school office and they can disable your account.
- Can other people see my son’s/daughter’s grades?
No. As long as you protect your username and password, others will not be able to see your child's information.
- What do I do if I forgot my login information or I feel my account has been compromised?
Contact your child's school office as soon as possible to make arrangements to pick up the new login information at the school office or have it mailed to you. Please bring photo identification at this time. This protocol is established for the safety/security of the student records.
- Can I change my password? Yes, once you create your account, PowerSchool allows you the ability to change your password and customize your settings.
- How can I get help navigating the PowerSchool Parent Portal?
Go to the Westfield Public School System district web site, then click on Parent Resources and select PowerSchool Parent Portal User Guide.
- I am not getting e-mails from PowerSchool Parent Portal. How come?
There could be multiple reasons for this:
1. Did you sign-up for E-mail Notifications on the E-mail Notifications page? Please double check the e-mail address you entered because if one character (letter/number/space) is off, you won’t receive e-mails.
2. Did you check your email's BULK or SPAM folder? Check to see if the messages are going there and choose to mark them as NOT SPAM. You will have to consult your email's help menu or manual to learn how to do this as it is different for every email program.
- My e-mail is not working when I click on the name of a teacher to send them a message. What am I doing wrong?
If you use a webmail program like gmail, yahoo, or hotmail your browser can not log you into your e-mail to send this message. You will need to e-mail the teacher outside of the PowerSchool Parent Portal. You must run a local (or POP) emailer like Outlook or Outlook Express in order to have the e-mail address automatically placed in your "TO" box. If you mouse over the name of the teacher you want to e-mail, look in the lower left section of your screen and you will see their e-mail address. 99% of the time a teacher's e-mail is their first initial, period, followed by their last email@example.com for example: firstname.lastname@example.org.
14. What if I want others to have access to my child’s grades (Grandparents, Aunt/Uncle)?
If you want others to have access to your child’s grades via PowerSchool’s Parent Portal, you will need to provide them with the students access ID that was provided to you by the school. It will be the responsibility of each parent/guardian to distribute (or not distribute) this access ID as they see fit. Another option within the Parent Portal would be to set email notifications for multiple email addresses. These email notifications send recipients requested information such as current grades, detailed reports of assignments and scores, as well as attendance. To setup email notifications, see the “Email Notification” section of the Parent Portal User Guide.
Note: When adding multiple email address in the Email Notification section of Parent Portal, make sure they are separated by a comma and no trailing space. 15. Can I print what I see? Yes, use the print icon at the bottom of most pages.
16. Do I need to log out of PowerSchool Parent Portal?
Yes, when you are finished, please logout or shutdown your computer. This way no one will be able to access your child's private information.